Tuesday, February 12, 2013

International Olympic Committee Drops Wrestling

I am deeply distressed that a poorly promoted, majestic sport of intimate (combat) committal by unheralded athletes since the almost dawn of civilization has been removed from the Olympic club and the viewership of the world. Try if you will doing what you do while someone is trying to hurt you, not just gravity and a time clock, a thinking organism as gifted as you, opposite you, training as you have to conquer you. While the "Mixed Martial Arts"I helped birth, soars high, the wings of wax that hoist few to the podium in wrestling have suddenly disintegrated. The short (black) listing of wrestling is to now stand along side Karate and wushu to be continued as items needing further consideration. Tae Kwon Do had the political audacity to jump into the Olympic arena (during the Seoul Olympics) quite a long time after I had enough of horrible refereeing and geographic prejudice. I moved on. I like Igor Zinoviev missed the Olympics in my (Our) initial sport. As I told the U.S.A. wrestling fifteen years ago when co-producing The Contenders, "You guys better get on board, you are dinosaurs...you will lose everything, all your athletes to these new (then) sports." They did not back me, nor believe in my premonition. I feel for the committed athletes, not the organization. You insulated yourself and now have been cast adrift in your own Bermuda Triangle.

2 Comments:

At February 12, 2013 at 4:10 PM , Blogger Mr_Mike said...

I've seen a few "Contenders" matches on youtube. Was it ever released to the public on ppv, or a VHS release? Also, it would be interesting to read your thoughts on how it started, how it went and, you comments about it afterwards.

 
At February 18, 2013 at 4:47 AM , Blogger Justin said...

In one of Mr. Peretti's appearances on No Holds Barred with Eddie Goldman, they discussed The Contenders at length. Here's the link: http://nhbnews.blogspot.com/2012/12/no-holds-barred-john-perretti-on-his.html

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

© 2013 John Perretti all rights reserved.